Friday, February 16, 2024

10 Writing Center Consultants, the Songs I Associate Them With, and How it Can Help you Make your Next Appointment

    We often say that music is the universal language. I'd normally say that this statement is completely untrue, but in other ways I find that music is how we share our moods in a way that transcends language and, in my case, even how I associate moods or feelings with the people I spend time with. And I spend a lot of time with other Writing Center Consultants, so many times when I hear certain songs, I think of them. I think of this as another method of describing the "energy" or "vibe" of my fellow consultants. From the lens of a writing center client, this could mean a better understanding of the personality and specialties of consultants and who could be best to give you your next consultation. Hence, here is a list of 10 consultants, the songs I associate with them, and how it could help you make your next appointment. 



Shannon: The Twighlight Theme Song 

She’s from Washington, no explanation needed. Think of a dark, rainy fall day and you have an old English novel assignment due. You’re feeling dark and moody, or maybe just thinking about vampires for some reason. That is the perfect Shannon consultation.



Kyra: Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood

One time Kyra said she lived in Wisconsin, so now she reminds me of cheese and hunting and country people in general. Kyra’s also a "girl’s girl", and I feel like if you come into a consultation and say your partner cheated on you, she’d help you do everything Carrie Underwood does to her ex’s car in the song. So, if that just happened to you, Kyra is the perfect consultant. 



Adele: Put Your Records On - Corrine Bailey Rae


    Adele's super sweet, I can't think of another better word to describe her and, no, it's not because I'm slow. Imagine a really ridiculously bright singular sun beam streaming down in a really holy way from a cloud and this song playing during great spring weather, because that's what reminds me of a conference with Adele. She has a really cool cardigan and sweater collection too! She's super artsy, so I bet if you bring in an art assignment, she'd be amazing.


                                    



Alli: 7 Summers - Morgan Wallen


        I feel like Alli would go to rodeos and wear a really cute turquoise shell beaded cowboy hat and sing country songs. People might make fun of country singers (unpopular opinion but it's not cool to hate country) but she'd sing them in a cool way. If you have a science report or you're feeling like a cool biology farm girl and thinking about horses and country and those sorts of things, Alli seems like your perfect Writing Center consultant.




AJ: American Idiot - Green Day


    AJ’s super nice (I swear), but she reminds me of the 2014 angsty Tumblr girls my mom banned me from the internet because she was worried I’d start acting like them. For some reason if you have black box-dyed hair or piercings, I feel like she’d match your energy but in a cute way. She works in the night like a cute little angsty nocturnal owl and she has really calming energy, so if you need that sort of moody conference energy for your English or theater assignments because you’ve just procrastinated on a paper till an hour before its due and your sad, she’s perfect.




Karla: El Poeta - Chino & Nacho


Karla told me today that she thinks of herself as a poet like the song says (her favorite), which in so many ways reminds me of the cool snap poetry girl from the sequel of the Goofy Movie (I’ll put a picture of her below). So if you think of a poet, not Edgar Allan Poe poet but more of a really cool and upbeat poet, think of Karla. If you haven’t gotten what I’m trying to say yet, go to Karla if you need a poetry conference.






Gabby: Vienna - Billy Joel


Billy Joel is probably the most wholesome artist ever, if that gives you an idea of how Gabby is as a person. She prefers creative writing conferences (wink wink) and would love to talk to you about your creative writing assignments. If I think of a cloudy/rainy day with moody low lighting in the writing center and sad Billy Joel playing in the background in a reflective kind of way, I’d also think of Gabby.




Kylie Hoy: Good at Breaking Hearts - Jungle


        Kylie reminds me of Taylor Swift Folklore, because she's super upbeat but in a chill way. I couldn't think of any good Taylor Swift songs to encompass her personality, so she told me that this was her favorite song. It's low-key and chill, much like how she is as a person and a lot like how she approaches her conferences. She's a reading queen and would even love to read your long research essays. Thanks for taking one for the team, Kylie! She works at night like a cute reading owl, so come and visit her then with your super long research essays (so I can stick to my cute little narrative essays)!




Emerson: Ophelia - Kiltro


    Emerson listens to hard metal music, but for some reason they told me that this Chilean fold Latin rock song is what "encompasses their vibe". To be completely honest I've never even heard it before, but even just the title and the name of the genre makes me think of Emerson. The song is about loving someone, which reminds me of this one time Emerson helped me write an apology letter to my professor and even though I severely screwed up, they acted like a loving grandparent and didn't make fun of me. Emerson is super philosophical, which is fitting because they told me they love creative philosophy conferences. For example, Emerson said someone came in for a conference with a piece about two people arguing over whether or not a vampire can execute a house arrest with judge permission but not owner permission and they loved it! So, basically, don't give Emerson a boring writing assignment! I'm only kidding; bring her whatever, she's great.




Arianne: 20190724 - Mac DeMarco


        Arianne reminds me of Emerson in the way that they also have an unconventional music taste. Arianne prefers upbeat indie music, but in a not-from-COVID trending era way. Normally I've heard of every upbeat indie song from TikTok, but I've genuinely never heard of this before they told me about it. A lot like their music taste, Arianne tries to make every conference upbeat. They won't make fun of you for tiny mistakes like a lot of us will (kidding), and they use humor to make you all untense even in strict grammar conferences, for example. Arianne's always made me feel comfortable during a conference or even just talking during a shift, so I'm definitely giving a 10/10 recommendation. Go visit Arianne!





    To all you readers who have made it this far, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for reading this culmination of basically all the weird inner thoughts I have relating to the Coe Writing Center. I hope that this encourages you to make your next appointment or at least gives you some new song recommendations. Please come visit us, I swear we aren't scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment