Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Eat Like a Local

By: Ashlyn Cook


When I was searching for a college to spend four years at I also knew to look at the city. The small town I grew up in had a bowling alley that shut down and only two local restaurants that didn’t double as a bar & grill. As a result of this, I wanted to move to an area where there’s as much to do off-campus as there is to do on-campus. With our campus being situated right next to downtown Cedar Rapids, I knew there would be seemingly endless opportunities for local adventure. Although I haven’t been able to explore places like the event center or Paramount Theatre yet, I have done my fair share of eating like a local. So I present to you my official ranking of Cedar Rapids’ homegrown restaurants.


#8 Kickstand


This modern restaurant and bar is located on the edge of NewBo right before the Czech District. I was able to take advantage of their expansive outdoor seating which had views of the bike trails and a glimpse of downtown. Unfortunately, I had some wrap that came out cold and left something to be desired. They did have live music but the drunk patrons a few tables over made that difficult to enjoy. Overall, wouldn’t go back but enjoyed the design and view.



#7 The Quarter Barrel Arcade & Brewery


The Quarter Barrel was a fun adventure right off-campus within walking distance. I loved the atmosphere inviting you to let out your inner child. The floor is crowded with old-school arcade games for you to compete on. The brick walls are covered with art from your favorite games. However, the atmosphere wasn’t enough to save us from the dry and rubbery pizza. It was a fun night but I recommend coming for the games and leaving before the food hits the table.



#6 Midtown Station


Also situated a few blocks off campus, Midtown Station is a cute little restaurant that’s always hopping. I tried on multiple separate occasions to get a table here but I think it was worth the wait. Our party had both breakfast and dinner foods which were decent but nothing special. This may be a fun spot when the weather is warm and the back patio is open for seating.



#5 The Irish Democrat


A little bit farther away on First Avenue is The Irish Democrat. This restaurant is nice and spread out with plenty of Irish quirks. For classic dishes, our food came out in a reasonable time and I happily switched up my regular order of a burger for the C.R. Cheesesteak which was a worthwhile choice. And, our waitress complimented my outfit so I’m biased to love this place.



Disclaimer: I had a really hard time ranking the rest of these restaurants. I have been back to all of them at least once and would go again in a heartbeat. Each has its own quirks and delectables. I would highly recommend trying out any of these places!


#4 Tornado’s Grub & Pub


I struggled the most with where to put this bar & grill on my list. This is the spot to go catch a football game and slam some fries. And if there are any other burger and spice fanatics out there, this is the only place you should take away from this list. Their burgers are categorized by heat level and named after storm levels. My first time in I took the safe route and went for the second to the hottest burger which only tickled my tongue. I was eager to try again though with the big kahuna and was anything but disappointed. The servers also saw us struggling with a quarter on the table’s checkerboard and made sure to give us the real game pieces.



#3 Riley’s 


If this isn’t a favorite of Coe students yet, I have zero clues as to why. With two locations in Cedar Rapids (one being a few blocks away) this diner gives me nothing but feelings of home and hospitality. My first go ‘round was with a steaming cup of hot chocolate and cinnamon roll french toast and it was simply *chef’s kiss.* The second time around I had the chicken and waffles which were so filling I didn’t eat the rest of the day. If you’re feeling homesick or are just looking for a quality brunch place on the weekend, Riley’s is for you.



#2 30Hop


This restaurant has a special place in my heart so I am a bit biased again. However, the stunning and modern interior pales in comparison to its rooftop seating. Overlooking Blairs Ferry Road is the perfect place to watch the sunset, watch a game, and eat flavorful food. To date, I’ve had the 30Hop Burger, buffalo chicken tenders, and the chicken, bacon, and ranch sandwich. I swear it gets better every time I eat there. Just make sure to bring a jacket for when the sun goes down.



Honorable Mention: Almost Famous Popcorn


I wanted to be sure to give this local spot a shout-out despite it falling outside of the restaurant category. Almost Famous Popcorn has supplied amazing kettle corn on multiple occasions- and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t like popcorn. The ice cream is also so thick and creamy that you can’t help but love it.



#1 The Black Sheep Social Club


The ambiance alone of this place is enough for this to take the cake on my list. If you’re looking for an excuse to get dressed up and act a little fancier than the average college student for a night this is it. This place is absolutely gorgeous and full of personality. From the second you walk in you are well taken care of and can often find other patrons willing to flash you a smile or invite you in on their conversation. I tried the smoked blueberry burger with reservations of what flavors I would encounter. I was pleasantly surprised by a sweet and savory burger paired with a pesto sauce. By all accounts, I expected this dish to be a flop and was blown away. My second dish was the applewood prime rib and I think that speaks for itself. This place breaks the scale for my rating system. You will definitely see me there frequently in my four-year stint at Coe.



No comments:

Post a Comment