Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Plant Care, Self Care, Same Difference

 


Why hello there! Fancy seeing you here :) 



Most of us have a soft spot for plants (whether you have a green thumb or not) and the CWC is no exception. We have nine plants in the Writing Center and I have six in my dorm room and another eight at home. I adore plants so I knew that I wanted to write about them but I had no idea what angle to write from until I found this quote :




so now that I am properly inspired, I present


Plant Care, Self Care, Same Difference



Even if you don't have a green thumb, I'm sure you know the basics of their care, 


  • Sunlight

  • Water

  • Miracle grow


These basics all directly apply to how we should care for ourselves! If you don't believe me, let me show you...


Sunlight : 


        The weather outside is no longer frightful, so go outside! Or at least open your blinds. Take advantage of the warm weather and study on the quad, or take a walk through the Alumni Garden. Sunlight increases serotonin which will boost your mood, and exposure to sunlight has a host of mental health benefits. Sunlight can help improve your sleep which will also boost your mood in the long run.  Don't forget the most valuable benefit of the sun, vitamin D will help strengthen your immune system to fight off that pesky virus! 



    

Water : 


This one seems pretty self explanatory, drink water! I am guilty of ignoring this cardinal rule as I thrive on the daily Dr. Peppers I get from the Caf but in the interest of practicing what I preach I am attempting to drink 32 oz a day and you should join me!



The less obvious part of this rule is give yourself time. The soil does not soak up the water instantaneously, it takes a little bit, and then you have to wait for the soil to dry out before you water it again, so give yourself time to absorb new information and new experiences! When stressors arrive remember to take time to process them before you let yourself spiral. 


Miracle Grow


        Plants don't always need food like Miracle Grow. You feed plants at the beginning of growing season or when you notice they are a little extra droopy. Don't be afraid to "treat yo self" right before a growing season, or when times are tough. Go buy some cookie dough from the pub (my favorite is the brownie kind), or order your favorite Starbucks drink. Show yourself a little extra love, however that manifests itself.





I promise these tips will work for yourself even if they don't always work for the plants in your care. If you find yourself stressed this semester remember, take a deep breath, and check in with yourself. How have you been taking care of you? And maybe stop by the Writing Center for essay help,  Jolly Ranchers, or just to check out our lovely plants!


No comments:

Post a Comment