Sunday, February 2, 2020

Late Nights in the CWC

This semester, I elected to take a 3 hour block of time, 9 PM to 12 AM, on Sunday evenings. Last semester, I only had busy shifts, weeknight evenings in the realm of 7-9 PM, so I thought I would split the load and take a quieter shift. How has that gone for me? Wellll.....   
This is my brain during these shifts when I'm working on homework and no one comes in. Why is this? Wouldn't the expectation be on a quiet shift be that with the odds of a client coming in lower, your concentration can be 100% focused on your homework and you'd have a greater concentration? Perhaps, but that doesn't have to be the case! Even though we sometimes complain about being busy during a shift and that we hate multitasking because we're bad at it... 
...we're better than we give ourselves credit for! When my shifts were all busy, I had a laser-sharp focus on what I was doing, because I wanted to complete high quality work in the time I had, and the key is that I never knew how much time I would have. On a quiet shift, I can afford to slack because the odds of it hindering my work are slim. On a busy weekday night, this isn't the case. So although quiet shifts are nice, and theoretically should result in more completed work, is that really the case? I don't think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment