Monday, April 22, 2024

Is it Worth It to be an FYS Writing Fellow?

Coe College's Writing Center Consultant's have many opportunities to engage with students outside of the CWC, but these opportunities require more commitment and effort. Every year, Writing Center Consultants can work as Fellows for First Year Seminar (FYS) classes. Is it worth it to be a Fellow? Although every Consultant enjoys working at the Writing Center (duh), below are the highlights of being a Fellow and why Consultants love the work they do with FYS students.





Myah Eggert, a senior, says, "My favorite part about being a writing center Consultant/Fellow has been getting to move into campus early during the summer as well as getting to know all of the new freshman/students coming to Coe."



Andrea Glandt enjoys "...the communication that happens between me the students and the Professor. I love to be able to talk with the professors about what students are struggling with in their writing and why they might be. I feel these conversations are important both for the Professor and the students and that my input could help both parties to improve."



Lincoln Johnson's favorite part of being a Fellow is "...helping out people who need assistance as well as getting to meet new and interesting people."



"I would say the best part of being a Writing Fellow is probably getting to work closely with a professor you really like. I'm going to be a Fellow for Luke Lovegood in the fall, and we have already met with him to discuss what his course is going to look like. I think it is cool to closely see how a professor plans the course, especially when my FYS was not the greatest... His is going to be AMAZING," states an excited Olivia Stansbery-Dobbs.





Avalynn Morse comments on the growth of her students, stating, "I’d say that I love being a Writing Fellow because I get to see how these new students are continually growing in their writing and their confidence."



"I think my favorite part of being a Writing Fellow is getting to do repeat conferences- both throughout their first fall semester and in the ones following it. You get to see a lot of growth. Some of the students I Fellowed for when I was a sophomore still come meet with me and I’ve really like getting to watch them become the writers they are today," remarks Megan Norris.




Karla Silva says her favorite part of being a Writing Fellow is "...the opportunity to do in class-workshops. Being invited to the classroom to work on papers right then and there is different from having students come into the writing center. I get to see students in a different environment, it's refreshing!"

    
Each Fellow has had a different experience with their assigned FYS class, but every Fellow has had a takeaway from their time with their students. Helping students with their assignments from the FYS professor is great, but so is the personal development that each Consultant has experienced- whether it be increasing confidence or verbal communication. So yes, being a Fellow is worth it to every Consultant for their own reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment